Localization Export and Import (in Grid) accompanies our core feature - Dependencies. Localization Export allows you to export translation files with the current statuses of the strings. When you re-import using Localization Import with the updated translations, the statuses are updated automatically.
To use the Localization Export and Import feature, you’ll first need to set up localization columns and add Dependencies to all the desired language pairs in your Grid.
Export files using Localization export
- Open a Grid, you’ll see the Localization button in the header (if dependencies are set).
- Select Localization Export.
Gridly will export the translation file in XLSX (Excel format). You can select how you want the translation files to be exported
- Source language: Select the source language you want to export.
- Select target language to export: Select the target language columns to export, or click the check box to Export all target languages.
Other settings (optional):
- Highlight source changed: Highlight changes in the source language columns since the last translation update.
- Include up-to-date record: Exported files by Localization export only include strings that need updating (Dependency status: Out-of-date, Unset) by default. Select this option if you also want to include up-to-date strings
- Include do-not-translate: Select this option if you want to include strings with the source status: Do not translate
- Include not-ready-for-translation record: Select this option if you want to include strings with the source status: Not ready for translation
- Export to the same sheet: For Grids containing more than 1 target language, each language will be exported to a separate sheet. Select this option if you want the languages to be exported to the same sheet
- Select other columns (optional): Select other columns you want to export.
- Click Export.
Re-import files using Localization Import
After sending out to translators to update translations, you can re-import the files to update the Strings in the Grid.
- Open the Grid, then click on the toolbar.
- Select Localization import from the dropdown list.
- Drag and drop, or click to browse for your files.
- If you want to import multiple localization files at once, click Add more files.
- Click Manage to start checking the updates.
Gridly can only import XLSX files that have been previously exported using the Gridly Localization Export feature.
Let’s review the changes before we finish importing.
In the Manage import window, you can see a preview of the imported strings and changes made (or not made). All the changes will be highlighted by type: Error, Warning, Info. Gridly won’t import the values or update the translation statuses for some changes. Please check the table below for detailed information.
Filter issues and actions
Click next to the target language to filter issues by issue type and action:
Click to show unresolved issues.
View strings details
You can compare the changes in the Grid and imported file by clicking on the cells in the target language columns. For specific updates, you are required to select whether to overwrite or skip the updates, and set the statuses for the targets.
You can choose to apply an option to all similar issues:
For longer text, you can click at the bottom right of each cell to expand and view the whole text.
After reviewing the import preview, click Import, then click Apply.
If you don’t manually resolve issues, Gridly will apply the default option for those.
Export the list of issues
If you don’t know how to resolve the issues, or simply want to save them for further investigation, you can choose Export copy of issue list to export a list of current import issues. The exported file will be in XLSX format.
Don't know what the issue is about? Here is the list of issues with detailed explanations. You can always open a record to view the issue details:
- Issue: the issue name.
- Issue type: Issues are highlighted by types: Error (Red), Warning (Yellow), Info (Blue).
- Description: Explain what the issue is about and why it occurs.
- Action: What can be done with the issue.
- Default Dependency status: the Dependency status of a string will be updated following this Default Dependency status if you don't take any separate actions.
|Issue||Issue type||Description||Action||Default Dependency status|
|Record not found||Error||This record was deleted in the Grid||Skip import of these records||Keep as current|
|Source not ready||Error||Translation cannot be imported if the source status of the strings is set as Not ready for translation, or Do not translate||Skip import of these records||Keep as current|
|No target||Error||There is no translation in the target language column in the file||Skip import of these records||Keep as current|
|Source changed - Target changed||Warning||The source text has been changed since the last export.||Select whether to Overwrite with updated text or Skip||Keep as current|
|Source changed - Target unchanged||Warning||The source text has been changed since the last export, but the translation is not updated||Skip import of these records||Keep as current|
|TM conflict||Warning||Strings that used TM (Translation Memory) have been updated with new TM data since the last export||Select whether to Overwrite with updated text or Skip||Mark as Up-to-date, and update the imported translation to TM|
|Source changed||Warning||The source text has been changed since the last export||Skip import of these records||Keep as current|
|Target changed||Info||The text in target language has been changed||Select whether to Overwrite with updated text or Skip||Mark as Up-to-date|
|No change||Info||There is no change in the translation before and after exporting||Skip import of these records||Keep as current|