In this article:
- What is a Glossary?
- Setting up a Glossary
- Manage a Glossary
- Manage terms in a Glossary
What is a Glossary?
A Glossary is a database containing single words or expressions related to a specific subject. Using a Glossary can help keep translations consistent and reduce translation time.
A glossary consists of terms. When a term in the source language is detected, it will automatically be highlighted and shown in the suggestion pop-up.
Setting up a Glossary
Create a Glossary
- From the Homepage, click next to the company name and select Localization settings from the drop-down menu.
- Select Glossary in the left pane.
- Click Add Glossary to create a Glossary.
- Enter the glossary name and select supported languages. You can also quickly assign this Glossary to a project by clicking Add Project.
- Click Create.
- Click on the Glossary you want to edit.
- There are two ways to add a new term:
- Click to import if you've already got a TBX/CSV file.
- Click Add Term if you want to create new terms directly in Gridly.
Note: When importing a csv file, the header should be named based on the language codes. For example:
Using a Glossary in a Grid
Now the glossary is assigned to the project. Once a translator starts editing the cell in the target language column, every detected term will be highlighted and shown in the Glossary tab in the suggestion pop-up.
- Use Shift+Tab to switch between Translation Memory and Glossary in the suggestion pop-up.
- Double click, or click to insert a term.
Manage a Glossary
In the Glossary page, click to the right-hand side of the Glossary. From the drop-down list, select:
- Glossary name to rename the Glossary
- Edit Glossary to edit Glossary details, select supported languages, and assign to other projects.
- Import terms to update existing Glossary by importing TBX/CSV files.
- Export terms to export Glossary terms to a TBX file
- Delete Glossary to remove a Glossary from Gridly.
Search for a Glossary by name using the search bar:
Manage terms in a Glossary
On the Glossary page, click on a Glossary to view the terms and which projects are assigned. Similar to Manage glossary, you can also search, import, export, delete and add term.
Assign the Glossary to a new project or remove the current project in the Assign Project tab.
Edit term by clicking on a term to edit the details or add more terms.
Delete terms by clicking the checkboxes to select the terms you want to remove, and then click .
A Glossary is essential to aid in keeping consistency across your translations. Along with a Translation Memory, Glossaries can improve the translation quality and speed up the translation process. Besides, managing Glossaries and terms in Gridly is simple and easy, so setting one up and using it for your localization projects is advised.
Owner and Admin users have appropriate rights for managing Glossaries by default. To grant the ability for other custom roles, please refer to this article: Manage Company Roles.