Setting length limit allows you to regulate the maximum number of characters in the source and target translations. You can set a limit on the characters for source language and the number of additional characters allowed for target languages.
Set length limit only available on a Localization column type.
Set length limit for a single source string
- Open a Grid with Localization columns, in the source language column, right-click on the source cell and select Set length limit.
- Fill in the required fields:
- Set maximum character limit: This will be the maximum number of characters for both the source and target languages
- Set the number of maximum additional characters: This allows you to add an additional number of limited characters on top of the character limit above, but it is only applied to target languages.
- Click OK to finish.
When completed, there will be a small icon in the cells, representing the character length status. Hover over the icon and you’ll see the current translation length and the maximum permitted length.
When the limit is exceeded the icon will turn red:
For those who are using the Extended view, you can set the Length limit in the Editor view. Right-click on a cell in the source language column and select Open Extended View to open the Editor view:
Set length limit for multiple source strings
If you would like to set the length limit for multiple source strings at once:
- Select multiple cells and right-click to open Set length limit settings.
- Fill in the fields and click OK.
You can use Quick filter to filter out the records and set the limit for all filtered records:
Do not drag the black box in the corner as this will actually copy the text content from the first cell to those you select.
Set length limit for all records in the source language
If you already have a separate column for character limit, you can use that column as the value for the length limit.
This option is currently only available when you’re importing a file into Gridly when adding a new Grid. Your column name must contain one of the following keywords: len, length, length limit, len lim, source len, Source Limit, max length. Please contact us here if you have any suggestions about the keywords.
Filter strings that exceed (or do not exceed) the character limit
Use quick filter
Click on the column to open the Quick filter, then select a Maximum length option: Exceed and Not exceeded.
Use view filter
- Click on the view options header to open the View filer.
- Select Add condition group.
- Select Source language column. For the operator, select maximum length. In the next box, click and select an option from the drop-down: Exceeded/ Not exceeded.