In this article:
- Prerequisites for enabling Google OCR Automation
- Add “Record updated” trigger
- Add “Google OCR” action
- Test Automation
- Invoke records to apply the Automation to existing records
When creating an Automation with the “Google OCR” action, it will extract text from images whenever the Automation runs successfully. You can extract text from screenshots and translate the string efficiently with Gridly.
If you are not familiar with creating an Automation, please view the following article: Creating an Automation.
Prerequisites for enabling Google OCR Automation
This is available for Professional and Enterprise plans, with the paid Automation action: Google OCR. Check this article to find out how to purchase.
After creating the Automation, you need to configure the trigger and action. In this example, we’ll create an Automation that detects and extracts text from images whenever an image file is updated in Gridly.
Note: Your Grid must have a column with the data type “files” in order for the Automation to run successfully.
Add “Record updated” trigger
- Click Add Trigger, then select “Record updated” from the dropdown list.
- In the Watching columns section, select a column of which the data type is “Files”.
Add “Google OCR” action
- Click Add Step and select Google OCR in the list of actions.
- Select Detect type:
- Text in Image (default): detects and extracts text from any image. For example, a photograph might contain a street sign or traffic sign.
- Handwriting in Image: also extracts text from an image, but the response is optimized for dense text and documents.
You can check the differences between 2 types of Image detection here.
- Switch the toggle on to turn on the Automation.
- Click Test Automation.
- Change the name of your Automation by clicking on the top-right corner. If your Automation is not turned on, Gridly will require that you turn on the Automation in the resulting pop-up message. Click on the toggle to turn on and select Test again.
Invoke records to apply the Automation to existing records
If you want to run the Automation on all records without firing the Trigger, select Invoke records.
Now you can extract text from the images and start translating your strings. If you need help with Machine translation: Click here to learn about Google Text Translate or Amazon Text Translate in Gridly.
To view all articles related to Automations, click here.